sidecar for xs

Message Board For 650motorcycles.com

sidecar for xs

Postby GreatScott! on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 am

hey guys, going to try something different (for me anyway) bought this last night and now have to pick a bike for it. Here is a instructional vid I'm using to learn how to drive a sidehack... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZr-MeqOwyE
Attachments
!BPdvp2gBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl26,yBJz2r6QQHg~~_12.jpg
!BPdvp2gBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl26,yBJz2r6QQHg~~_12.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
GreatScott!

Re: sidecar for xs

Postby 650wings on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:32 am

Wow, That is some "instructions alright"
650wings
Site Admin

Postby drooling-bloodhound on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 am

I would love to have one to put my dog in. Just to have giant bloodhound drools landing on the cars behind me.
drooling-bloodhound

Postby GreatScott! on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey Paul ya like that :lol: I thought it was pretty good too! mad driving skills, love the jumps with the sidecar. I'll probably get killed on the first turn :roll:
GreatScott!

Postby allegro40 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:07 pm

I remember that move. that was a great movie, :o I had a friend that had one of those BMW two wheel drive they are awesome :shock: and I had a bud who had a 81 xs 650 with a sidecar they are both really nice handling, 8-) should be a cool project, is it a steel tube frame with a FGlass body ?
allegro40

Postby GreatScott! on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 pm

I knew I was fat but WTF! can anyone tell me how to keep this thing on the ground :lol: Image Image
GreatScott!

Postby GreatScott! on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:05 am

Ok, I'm been busy trying to get some of my own projects done but there's only 24hrs in a day and I need more! As I write this I have 3 1/2 hrs of sleep in me, not enough :x anyway I never had a sidecar before but soon relized there is a lot more to it then just bolting a sidecar on a bike. Over in the UK they have real rigs or outfits, here in the USA we tend to bolt on a sidecar and go. The difference? a rig is a bike that is intended to be used with a sidecar so it is modified to compliment the sidecar, like leading link front end and heavy duty brakes and such. So my little xs is getting some mods to deal with the sidecar better and I have also modified the sidecar as well.
GreatScott!

Postby GreatScott! on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 am

The front end needs some help and this is a benifit to all xs's not just a sidecar outfit,first a stainless brake line will help a lot, the rubber one you have on there now is OLD!!! when you appliy brakes some pressure is lost to hose expansion. Drilling the rotor will help some too, less weight is just one benifit. I did this on a slow speed drill press, I drew measured lines on the backside of the rotor and then found my centers and then used a "center punch" and marked all my holes to be drilled. You will notice a 3 / 2 patern, that is so the entire pad gets sweept. I used 3 size bits because they are stainless rotors and you can not do it in one shot, you want the final holes the same size as the thickness of the rotor, and use LOTS of cutting oil...Image
Last edited by GreatScott! on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
GreatScott!

Postby GreatScott! on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 am

I don't like fenders, I just think they are ugly and is just a personal preferance, I am willing to put up with water in my face for vain reasons :lol: I tell you this because major improvment can be made with a fork brace. You can buy these online but I made my own and here is why... #1 I dont run a front fender! so I can make the brace shorter and closer to the tire and that is stonger. #2 I made it out of .095wall dom tube, stronger than brace you buy. #3 The store bought is chrome, I"m not a chrome type of guy (most of the time). #4 I can say I made it myself ;) P.S. the store bought is fine and cheep enough to be a deal ;) Image
Last edited by GreatScott! on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreatScott!

Postby GreatScott! on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 am

With sidecars you can get a violent front end woble, not fun :x so a steering dampener will help some, and again this is a benifit not just for a sidecar outfit. I had to make a mount for the dampener so I bent some thick flatstock the same radius as the xs frame, then drilled a hole in the center for a threded coupler to be inserted and tig welded in place... Image
GreatScott!

Next

Return to 650motorcycles.com